This post contains affiliate links. The Frazzled may earn a commission if you purchase any items through these links at no cost to you.
- Happy Belly Canola Oil
- Bob’s Red Mill Organic Medium Grind Corn Meal
- McCormick Gourmet Cajun Seasoning
- Hoosier Hill Farm Buttermilk Powder
Cajun Catfish Nuggets
Enjoy a taste of Louisiana with crispy, Cajun-flavored catfish nuggets. This easy, kid-friendly meal is delicious served with a spice rémoulade or tartar sauce for dipping.
Servings: 4 people
- Bowl for buttermilk and egg mixture
- Bowl for cornmeal and Cajun seasoning mixture
- Large saucepan or deep fryer
- Food thermometer
- Slotted spoon
- Sharp knife
- Baking tray with paper towel layer for draining
- 3 cup canola or peanut oil
- 3 cup cornmeal
- 3 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup buttermilk If you don't have buttermilk, add 1 tbsp white vinegar to whole milk and rest for 5 minutes
- 2 large eggs
- 1,5 lbs catfish filet or pieces
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or deep fryer until it reaches 350°F.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and eggs in one bowl.
- Mix together the cornmeal and Cajun seasoning in the other bowl.
- Slice the catfish into approximately 1.5" pieces.
- Dip the catfish in the buttermilk and egg mixture, then gently roll it in the cornmeal mixture until fully coated.
- Fry the breaded catfish pieces in small batches until golden, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and put on a baking tray lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Make sure the oil reheats to 350°F between each batch.
- Serve with a spicy rémoulade or tartar sauce for dipping.